With today’s constantly changing world, we sometimes forget that an old-fashioned phone call can do so much. As we are asked to do more and more in less and less time we read less, we skim through emails and we look for information that is as short and concise as possible. As the market changes, quickly it’s important to remember that your customers are moving at the same pace. Products and solutions are changing at a more rapid rate which means, that as a manufacturing representative, you need to be one step ahead of your customer.
Here are some things to keep in mind when talking to your customer and getting to know them:
- Over deliver on customer expectations. This can be done by simply applying the best customer service. Knowing your product inside and out. A quick overview before your call is always recommended especially if you have a large product offer.
- Know the market changes before your customer does. Do your own research. Are their new products that could be offered that your customer may not even be aware of? Perhaps they have a favorite product line that they have used for years and aren’t aware of how a new model or an upgrade could actually save them time and money in the long run.
- Develop a partnership with them. Understand their needs. Even send a birthday wish, or for larger clients send a small gift. You can easily track customer’s data through tools like Salesforce.
- Be precise. If the customer is asking for a quote, don’t over promise. Make sure you can deliver and be precise.
- Be consistent. Although your client may not need a certain product today, he may need it tomorrow. Consistency combined with follow up can be a great formula for success.
- Stay focused and be aware. What is your customer really asking for? Dig into details. By doing so you may find out that they are in need of something else in addition to their original request. Develop a conversation with them. They will appreciate your friendliness over a salesy approach. No-one today likes salesy and for the most part it doesn’t work. People are looking for quality and content.
- Educate: Content is what drives sales today. People seek knowledge and are more prone to purchase when they have learned something new.
- Respect their time. Sometimes you may have just called at a bad time. Be sure to note this and send an email inviting them when the best time for you to call is. If you don’t receive any reply, then send a text message. Text will always be read and the response rate is generally much quicker than an email.
- Say please and thank you. This may sound like child’s play but it is important to show that you respect your client. This is something we often overlook. Keep the lesson you were taught as a child. Please and thank you can never hurt and your client may be pleasantly surprised.
For more tips or for information about our product offers, feel free to contact us at: email@example.com